Saturday 22 June 2013

Shopping in Singapore

Ideally, venturing overseas for me is not to go shopping. I am more inclined to the idea of 'roughing it' or camping.

The family trip to Singapore became boring when I noticed a pattern 3 days in. Each day we woke up, ate our breakfast and then were given strict instructions from the elders where we would go shopping.

HOWEVER, being a female, it is inherent in my nature to be at one with markets.
The hustle and bustle of market life in the smaller corners of Singapore is where I was bombarded by the sounds and smells of the everyday people.

Singapore Markets.
The horrible smell of Singapore's durian fruit wafted through the isles of the fresh fruit market. The smell was intense, yet so exciting. I had not yet been disgusted in the city of Singapore. 
When I travel, I seek to be disgusted, outraged and/or shocked.
4 days in to the trip, I remained comfortable within my surroundings. 
So when I finally came into contact with the unusual smell of the Durian, I was satisfied with my discovery of the unknown.
My dear friend, the Durian.

Orchard Road is like a shopping Mecca  towering above you. Travellers seek refuge in the shadows casted over the streets by the tall buildings and unusually large trees that line the streets.
Orchard Road.

Here, shoppers will find everything and more of what they seek. 
Again, a trip for first time Orchard Roaders - take a can of deodorant - you will thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment