Saturday 22 June 2013

Mid-Autumn Festival of Mooncakes and Lanterns

In Singapore our hotel overlooked Clarke Quay, where the Mid-Autumn Lantern festival was in full swing.

Pubs and bars were packed along the river early evenings and late at night.
The atmosphere in the heat of mid-autumn was positive and all locals and tourists were friendly.

Clarke Quay river lantern Festival lights and floats.

Dad and I leaving the Festival



Tall lantern light displays.


My Nan and Pop are well known for wandering astray from the pack. Early in the evening I turned around and realised my Pop was missing.
So, the 5 of us split up.
My dad and I took the right side of the river while my mum and aunt took the left. I sprinted over towards the bridge. I knew pop would be standing idly by, enjoying the sights and smells of the Lantern festival.
I was right. There he was, not even aware we were searching for him.
"Oh there you are pet!" He smiled kindly in my direction.
I dragged him back to where my nan sat. (Nan always picks on pop) She bickered at him, but gave up mid sentence.
This little story shows proof that the positive atmosphere in the mid-autumn festival makes it difficult for families to bicker. The peaceful surroundings distracted us all from telling pop not to wander off.
The family and I at a bar having ice-cream and cheap beer.


Mooncakes are funny little things. A bit of an odd taste. A taste my palette did not acquire whilst overseas, yet worth trying during the Mooncake festival.

I hope this blog post inspires travellers who have booked a Singapore trip during mid-September to check out Clarke Quay's lantern festival and enjoy it as much as I did.

Happy Travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment